Saturday, November 29, 2008

Dear President-Elect Obama

Sent week of November 15, 2008.


Dear President-Elect Obama and Transition Team,


Like many Americans, I am excited and a bit anxious about the days to come. Our country, as you know better than any other set of Americans, has decided challenges. One hates to say that our country is a mess, but I don't know that softer sentiments describe our current condition or the road ahead.


I trust President-Elect Obama's ability, talent, dedication, intelligence and integrity much more than that of any other elected official in my lifetime. However, I do not desire to put the fate of my country, my future and our children's future solely in the hands of our elected officials in Washington any longer. Americans have been disengaged from our political system for way, way too many years...look where it has gotten us. We cannot turn a blind eye any longer.


Americans across our land must peacefully and respectfully stand up and say, "no more."


How do we accomplish this utilizing that incredible strong grassroots network created during the campaign season? I am flatly apposed to movements that encourage people to stand on street corners yelling and screaming. How can we organize to communicate respectfully and meaningfully with our leaders outside of campaign seasons?


How can we create a culture in which our elected officials speak to American citizens in calm, thoughtful, honest manners without being so concerned if a given statement fits news bite/sound bite formulas?


I, along with I believe millions of other Americans, do not want to be pacified with rhetoric, we don't want to be deceived and we want a voice in the directions and decisions of our government. Solely making the voices of everyday Americans heard on election days is not enough. We can all see where the separation of government from the governed has taken us.


I will look forward to your reply in some format and am willing to do whatever I can to help. I want my country back.


Sincerely,

Tonia Becker VerShaw

No comments: